Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roosterbird
I regret buying a Mtn bike for everyday, if I had it to do over I'd get a cyclecross bike. I ride more on the dirt roads, local MU trail etc, my bike hasnt seen a mountain bike trail. Currently I'm trying to update it to do local gravel grinds which the CX would be better for.
Mountain bikes, ie bikes intended for trail use with suspension, should only be used on trail. They really aren't suited for street use.

I am a firm believer there is no one bike that does everything. Really assess what type of riding you plan to do. If just starting out I assume it will mostly be road, paved trail etc. Get a road or cyclecross bike, without suspension. For your price point, suspension will be bad and prong to failure. Look for a good hardy material, such as steel or aluminum, the best components possible for your price point and consider spending some money getting wheels relaced to support your weight. If you do get a mountain bike, switch out the knobbies to road slicks (25 - 28 width) unless of course, you actually plan to do dirt trails only. At your weight, you need ot be very careful about how you use full suspension. Most mountain bikes have a weight limit - generally 200 or less. You can still ride one but cautiously...

I think if you step away from purchasing a mountain bike, you will have alot better options in that price point...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Last edited by Pamestique; 04-10-14 at 02:29 PM.