View Single Post
Old 04-12-14, 09:14 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by giantcfr1
Flipping the stem means exactly that. He flipped it over. Many stems are designed that way ...two angles and ever so slight difference in length.
Notice his stem is close enough to level, whereas before it would have been angled up a little , maybe 10 deg (?)
You can also often change the height by moving spacers. If you buy a hybrid with the old style quill type stem, you pretty well have to buy a new stem.
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
^^ what giantcfr1 said ^^

In this case flipping the stem (very easy and you only need a hex key) moved me a little lower (up front) and just slightly more forward. This shifted my balance on the bike enough to make a huge difference in my riding comfort. Actually more of a difference than I was expecting. It also changed my position on my saddle. I was having some problems with my saddle and wasn't sure if I was going to have to swap saddles or possibly buy a new seatpost that was micro adjustable. This simple adjustment (and I might add is reversible if you don't like it) really helped. I feel much more balanced on the bike.

I have about 20mm of shims that I can remove in case I want to experiment with going lower.

Ahhhh okay. Thanks for the feedback.

I've considered the possibility that one might change a stem, but never thought before about flipping one over. That certainly could make a big difference.