Old 04-13-14, 09:37 AM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rethinking Organized Rides

My wife and I rode our tandem on numerous organized rides over the last several years. She's not riding currently so I've been riding my single exclusively. I still enjoy riding tremendously and have signed up for several organized rides this year, primarily ones where I don't have to stay overnight (within 150 miles or so). I rode 75 miles of the Tierra Bella Century yesterday, my route here, and I'm having second thoughts. The TB (as it's called) is a very good ride: excellent rest stops, course workers, scenery, etc., but as most of the organized rides have hilly routes there isn't much opportunity to ride along with someone else for a bit and chat.

I do most of my riding solo as there is no club nearby. I'm old enough (and slow enough) that even in a club I might not find others riding at my pace. Certainly got passed by enough folks on the bigger of the two climbs! Now, I don't believe I was passed by any senior citizens (my demo), but probably not many seniors doing the Century.

Counter to this line of thinking: I can ride 50 miles on dead end ranch roads and see only cattle. Transient human contact and the occasional chat at a rest stop is better than no human contact.

How to others feel about "solo" organized rides?