Old 04-13-14, 10:03 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1183 Post(s)
Liked 834 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
It's going to be a very tight budget, but it's something that I've always wanted to do and a friend and I have a chance to do it, so we're gonna figure out how to make it work. I'm currently trying to figure out how I can get by on ~$1500, so ~$500/month or a little over since I don't think we'll be there a full 3 months. Do you think it can be done on ~$15-18/day? As for the camping, the plan is to only spend the night in larger areas where we can find Warm Showers hosts or very cheap hostel type situations.
Camping in Europe is not cheap. In my experience it can cost from 10 -25 Euro/ night at established campgrounds. Right now the exchange rate is: 10 Euros = $13.85. I'm not sure you can even eat on $15-$18/ day (11-13 Euro), especially in Switzerland. Bottled water, you can't always get tap water, is often more than 3 Euro/ bottle.

Hopefully, you will get more opinions.

It has been 2 years since we rode there, but I don't think much has changed. We were there for 3 months, and went well over our budget which we based on touring in the U.S. and Canada.