revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
For whatever reason, my deal was 180 degrees the other way. Waiting 10 days for surgery, just plain sucked. Grinding stuff, uncomfortable, sleeping on the recliner... No good! Outpatient surgery, and it was like the switch was flipped. In at 10, out at 3, home by 4. Hard part was coming out of the anesthesia.

I do hope it smooths out for you revchuck.
Originally Posted by sarals
As do I!!!!
Thanks! It has smoothed out a good bit - the pain is down to being dealt with by extra strength Tylenol and I can move much more freely. Getting in and out of bed, which was a major hassle, is almost back to pre-crash ease. Boredom is now my major hurdle.

I've been reading. The first book was Redeployment, a collection of short stories by a Marine vet of Iraq. It was strange, because the vocabulary, the cadence, the acronyms, the places are all familiar to me, but would be strange to someone who hadn't been in the military. The book has had lots of critical acclaim, but most of what I've read has been from critics without military experience. It must've seemed exotic to them. The author went from the USMC to a Dartmouth MFA program. His first year at Dartmouth must've been...interesting.

I'm currently reading Thinking Body, Dancing Mind. I've been peripherally aware of some of the principles presented through my shooting sports experience, but it's good for me to get into more detail at this point in my development. I'm about a third of the way through my first reading. It's going to take several readings to internalize this one.

One of the things I wanted to do when I retired was re-read some of the stuff I read when I was younger. First up will be Zen and the Art of Archery, which I first read in college. It should be interesting to see the difference in understanding separated by 40+ years of life experience. Then I'm going to start working my way through the books I first read as a college freshman French major in a course taught by an elderly Austrian professor - the old school "here's this 600 page novel in 18th century French, read it and be prepared to discuss it next Monday" style. After three years of high school French, I was thrown into the deep end of the pool. Now that my French is much better, I think I'll enjoy them a bit more.

I'm going to pull the rear wheel off the Allez and bring it to the shop to have it trued, and replace the brake pads on the Allez too. I got the replacement name plates for the shifters, so they'll go on as well. We're into spring weather in Louisiana, but that's as close as I'll be able to get to riding for a while.

Demain, on roule!