View Single Post
Old 04-14-14, 07:26 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Weatherby
Here is my tool bag contents......

1. One spare tube all talced up in a ziplocked snack bag
2. Patch kit and alcohol wipes to clean talc and mold release off.
3. Long strip of duct tape for booting or patching epidermis
4. Tie wraps
5. one CO2 cartridge
6. Pump
7. Carbon fibre spoke replacement and/or real spokes
8. Quick link to repair chain
9. Spoke tool, chain breaker combo
10. Hex wrenches (3, 4, 5 mm)
11. small chain lube
12. Two tire "irons"
13. TP and cell phone

Am I missing anything? What do the rest of you carry? I very rarely have gotten flats but anticipate one tonight after making such a foolhardy statement.

I have never broken a brake or shifter cable, so, I don't carry either. I figure one brake would get me to the finish and I could always covert to a Fixie if the rear cable broke or just run the small ring if the front derailluer cable broke or at least that is the plan.
I carry two spare tubes, multi tool, chain breaker, quick link, pump, tyre patches, spare batteries (for GPS and for lights), a small adjustable spanner/wrench, spare cable for shifters/brakes and usually 4mm and 5mm allen keys as loose tools. That's on top of things like a few cereal bars, jelly babies and electrolyte tablets.

I did once break the front gear cable about 110km into a 200km brevet. I didn't have a spare so put the FD onto the middle ring and just did the best I could for the 50km to the next control, where someone gave me a spare cable and I got going again. Since then I carry a spare cable. They are cheap, small and light, so I'd rather have it and not need it than the reverse.