View Single Post
Old 04-14-14, 08:23 PM
not_jason

Bikes: '85 Univega Safari-Ten (fixed), '84 Univega Supra-Sport, '85 Univega Gran Turismo, '86 Bianch Giro, '93 Cannondale R300, '68 Raleigh Gran-Prix (S3X fixed), '74 Schwinn Sprint (fixed), '5? Raleigh Lenton, '73 Raleigh Sprite, '36 Three Spires... etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My primary beef with people repainting old bikes is that they rarely come out looking better than they went in. Factory finishes are nearly always better quality than what most people can or will do on their own. I don't know what this finish is, but it scarcely looks better than a DIY rattlecan job. A worn 40 year old finish would look better to me.

And here's my other thing with this particular bike. I love fixies. My most-ridden bike is a fixed gear conversion with bullhorns, so I get why somebody would be into that. Having said that, my conversion was a low end high-tensile Chinese-made mid-80s Univega. You know what I mean? If you are the type of guy that wants an all black steel fixed gear bike with understated black componentry, a riser stem and pursuit bars, there are PLENTY of manufacturers willing to sell you EXACTLY that, and probably technically better quality than this. I don't see the point in taking a sought after collectible and parading around your total irreverence.