Old 04-15-14, 08:43 AM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I've been trying to inform people about discs since I signed up with the Bike Forums in 2004. I get barbecued every time I bring disc brake shortcomings. I can hear the wood being gathered right now. I've had discs since 2001 and I have yet to find anything superior about them.

And, having just done a bleed job and looking at having to do the seals on a brake lever, I find nothing redeeming about hydraulics. I can repair anything on a bike and I have done everything you can do to a bike short of welding but I would seriously consider paying a mechanic to do a bleed and/or rebuild job.

No local co-op that I know of would refuse any parts. My local co-op will take any bicycle part made from 1870 to present. I also find a "free/cheap parts box full of them" hard to believe. I live in a bicycle crazy area that has a huge of mountain bike riders and my local co-op sees very few used disc units of any kind. Any that do show up are quickly snatch up...even your hated BB7s. If anything, a BB7 will be snatched up faster than anything else.

They simply said they did not need them. And as proof they brought a huge box full of disk brakes including multiple bb7s that were in better condition (mine were quite scuffed and worn). There is a bias against disk brakes in PDX and this shop even removes disk brakes when reconditioning the bikes they sell/give. This co-op also also suggests (requires) a "donation" of $25 for giving them a perfectly function bike...Portlandia at its finest!