Thread: Mavic Open Pros
View Single Post
Old 04-15-14, 08:50 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by bigfred
After Mavic was sold around 2006(?) quality seemed to start slipping. The most obvious consequence being an increased propensity to develop cracks around the spoke grommets. Lots more riders started reporting such cracks and wheel builders and those working in shops confirmed that they were seeing a much higher return rate than previously as well as reporting that the rims generally weren't as round and true as they used to be out of the box.

This wasn't a one off bad batch. The issue went on for a few years and guys who had been ardent Open Pro devotees eventually had to give up on them.

The rim manufacturing world moved on, while Mavic and their Open Pros did not.

At this point, if you want a sorta' retro rim from the 90s for a period correct build they're still available. But, barring that, there are now better choices that are either, lighter, more aero, more durable or less expensive.
Hmm, that doesn't seem like anything new to me. I've still got a couple of Mavic rims from the '90s/early '00s, a pair of 517s and a set of OPs that both have small cracks at the eyelets. I thought that was pretty normal for hard-worked, lightweight rims. I still ride those cracked 517s, in fact, because they are that cool lime green ano color that just look boss with the green frame!