View Single Post
Old 04-16-14, 03:39 PM
Spld cyclist

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Fantom CXX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX, 1997 Bianchi Nyala, 200? Burley Rock 'n Roll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carnivroar
Unless you're an expert in evolution specializing in the digestive system, you don't have the credibility to make that statement.
You're right. I was just being silly. I shouldn't worry my pretty little head about it.

Actually, that's just insulting. Are you an expert? If so, please fill us in.

Here's a test. Do you know the meaning of "punctuated equilibrium" without looking it up?

Originally Posted by carnivroar
Well the great thing about science is that it doesn't matter if you believe in it or not. Evolution is a fact.

Evolving to consume grains as the primary source of food is NOT comparable to evolve to digest milk after infancy. The latter is clearly a much simpler mechanism.

We are still evolving indeed, but probably for the worst. Never before have the "diseases of civilization" been so common. Hint: it's not the meat and fat, which have been there all along.

It's simple logic:
  • Modern humans ate primarily meat and fat for at least 90% of their existence (100k years vs 10k years).*
  • If such diet was bad for humans, natural selection would have either wiped them all out or forced them to adapt.
  • We have obviously not been wiped out and we're by far the the dominant species on earth - therefore we have adapted to such diet.

*and that's being very, very conservative. Our earliest ancestor from 2 million years ago, H0mo habilis, were omnivore. (Had to type "0" instead of "o" to avoid being censored, lol.)

As for the article I linked, I didn't even read it. The point was that you can almost always find a study showing the opposite. Also, your argument against the article is an Ad hominem logical fallacy. Besides, Examiner is not even the source of the study, he is: Gluten Free Diet & The Food For A Healthy Brain - Dr. Perlmutter Great reviews here: Amazon.com: David Perlmutter MD: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle
Thanks to CFB and Squirtdad for posting rebuttals. I'll just say this. If the paleo theory was true, how can people like me exist? I've eaten high carb all my life. I have no trouble maintaining a healthy weight. I'll put my blood test results up against anyone's. I'm active but no athlete. I'm 44, which is plenty of time for my terrible diet to have taken its toll. I should be fat and riddled with heart disease and diabetes at the least. Yet I know a lot of people who eat what is basically just an old-fashioned balanced diet (dare I even say, a diet that would do USDA proud?) who have been perfectly healthy even to advanced ages, maintained reasonable weights, and generally avoided heart disease and diabetes. We just shouldn't exist, according to paleo theory, because we keep stuffing ourselves full of toxic carbohydrates. Based on people I personally know, the overweight and unhealthy ones clearly don't get enough exercise (sometimes none at all) and they eat too much junk food (either high-sugar or high-fat or both). This is consistent with most everything I have read about nutrition and physiology. I'm aware that there have been some studies supportive of a paleo diet. I'm withholding judgement on that for now. It may work fine for some people, but I don't see anything there that disproves what I've come to believe on higher-carb diets.

Did you ever think that the untold millions of people like me might argue for the position that humans have evolved the ability to survive and even thrive on carbs?