Old 04-16-14, 06:57 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramona_W
Today, I received my first and only free warning that I was violating the dress code. I assumed that at some point during my stint at this company I would have a talk about what I was wearing because I'm not your typical navy polo shirt and khaki pants wearing employee. I like to dress with panache. As I say, I was expecting to have a conversation but I didn't think it would take place on the very second day we got into the actual new store and started setting up.

What happened is that girl who was trying to be friends with me at the other location decided- as I anticipated she might- to become a stickler for rules. I was wearing a navy tank top, a pair of khaki walking shorts, a gray cotton sweater partially unbuttoned to show the required navy top, a strand of pearls, and my tiger striped Vans- classy but still appropriate for hanging peg-hooks and shelves. So this chick came up to me and said "Did anyone say anything to you about your shorts?" I'm thinking like what? Did they compliment me? Cuz yesterday a different supervisor told me I looked "hot" in the tie I was wearing. I said "No." She said "Are we allowed to wear shorts?" I'm wondering why the hell she's asking me. I said "I think they said in orientation that they were fine but I wouldn't swear to it."

All day long I saw all kinds of management. I also saw way more of my colleagues' underwear and hip tattoos than I ever wanted to. Finally, a few hours before we go home an assistant manager and not even the one who's going to really be mine, came over and said "Did anyone say anything to you about your shorts?" Well, you're the second person to ask me that, I'm thinking so does that mean "yes"? He said "Did anyone tell you that we can't wear shorts?" "No," I said. "Well, you can't. Wear shorts. We can't wear shorts." I said "Oh. Okay." He said "This is your one freebie. Next time we have to send you home." We were told by the manager that we should keep a change of clothes in the car if we had a question about what we were wearing so that doesn't ring true. I'm going to get these reqs in writing because, as LoP says, I'm going to want to try some crazy sh*t clotheswise and I don't want to get fired for something dumb like wearing shorts instead of the allowable capris. But what a pain in the ass that chick was. And it figures.
My wife, a nurse, always said working with a bunch of women was a special kind of hell.