View Single Post
Old 04-16-14, 08:33 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by revcp
Frustrating evening yesterday. The seller and I had agreed on things. I called back a few hours later to make final arrangements. He informed me that someone else had offered him $400. I called back this morning to check on things, left a message and received no return call. I did not know he had listed on Ebay. Slimeball.

Just checked the listing. 6 days left. 27 bids, $660. Bizarre feeding frenzy. I've seen better condition 1000s go for less. Only thing I can think is that folks in Chicago area who offered more and thought they had it through Craigs are just pissed enough to bid stupidly.
Look at it this way, the dude who tried dicking you over by offering $100 more just got dicked over as well.

Although it's crappy because it makes people go back on their word- it's just true that "money talks."

When my Trek 720 was listed for $650- I texted and the guy said he'd call me back- I knew someone was going to offer more. When I talked to the guy- I was surprised- and when he said we'd finish the deal in the morning, I knew someone was going to offer more. When we talked in the morning, I was sure someone was going to offer more in the time it took for me to drive from Waukesha to Milwaukee.

In the end, while we talked in the lobby of his apartment building, he was getting alerts every minute. I'm very grateful that he chose me to buy his bike.

I sent him a pic of the bike a few days ago- with panniers and everything on. Kind of a glamour shot.

Yours will come Rev.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.