Old 04-17-14, 05:46 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by zeppinger
I paid $0.75 a ride on the subway in Seoul. That got me anywhere in the whole city. When I lived in a rural town in Korea I paid the same for bus fair. It took a little longer than the subway and wasnt as comfortable but it worked just fine. I doubt I spent more than a few hundred dollars a year on transportation costs let alone the several hundred dollars a month it costs for basic transportation in the US.
If I wanted to take the bus to work, I would have to drive 5 miles past work, catch the bus, and ride the bus 5 miles back to arrive at work. I live rural, no bus, no subway, no taxi, no airplane, and now with the new bike at average of almost 9 mph on the road up and down all the hills (as opposed to 5 mph on my old bike last year), it would take me 2.2 hours to get to work and a bit longer to get home. I'm not getting up at 3 am to go to work and getting home at 7 pm, take care of the kids all night, go to bed at 11 or midnight for 3-4 hours of sleep, then doing it all again tomorrow. A car is a necessity.