View Single Post
Old 04-17-14, 09:03 AM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
There's no reason for anyone to buy a brand new car. Even a 10 year old car can require minimal maintenance (oil changes every 4k, complete tune up incl water pump and belt every 100k). I live in a very rural town in NY, a car is necessary for the winter but in the summer I have no problems with my 20 mile one way commute or 10-15 mile ride to the store. If I need to go someplace out of town that's what my car is for, paid for and insured at the lowest possible costs. I do all the work on it myself, so I save on labor costs. It seems every recent project is a learning experience for me though as I was only used to tire rotations, oil changes, tune ups, and brake work. So what if it takes me an hour or three longer than a certified mechanic, I don't have anything better to do after work and on the weekends to justify the $100+ an hour labor cost. With the depreciation value of cars dropping every day, I'd rather fix a problem for hundreds of dollars rather than buy a new one for thousands.