Old 04-17-14, 11:03 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
We have threads on walking or taking the bus. However, the discussion soon deteriorates as the motor centrist attack public transit as they cannot walk in their neighborhood.

I will continue to report on articles regarding the high cost of motoring. In fact, the lack of capital probably created more car free individuals than any other reason. Still, I want everyone to contribute because once the thread expands, it has a much greater chance of being read by those who are on the fence of becoming carfree.
Keep up the good work, Steve. I think we all need to be a little more assertive when people start pushing their car-centric POVs. They certainly have a right to express their opinions, but so do we. Lately I feel like I have to walk on eggshells so I don't offend somebody who loves cars. But enough is enough!

We have had several threads, including polls, on why people are carfree. Clearly the number one reason is to save money. Once people realize how much it actually costs to own a car, they are usually surprised. When they learn how inexpensive the alternatives are, they are interested. Then when they learn how they can have a high quality life with one car or zero cars, they often become motivated to be carfree or carlight. So I agree with you that talking about the "hidden costs" (or real costs) of car ownership is relevant on this forum.

"Think Outside the Cage"