Old 04-18-14, 07:15 AM
clausen

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
Black Chili can't be bonded to the same chemicals used in the tires using silica. The compounds that make coloured tread work fine with the silica compounds but are incompatible with the black chili compounds. That's why all the black chili tires are only black.

I do know that dual compound tires are a tally hard to make because the compound flex at different rates during deflection and this leads to a breaking of the bonds between the two compounds at a molecular level. This was an issue with the first Vittoria dual compound tires where the grippy strips on the side would separate from the harder compound used for the center do the tread.

I speak from personal experience here as this problem put me into a guard rail at the end of a crit.

So, given this information I would assume that what Continental is claiming seems at least within the realm of possibility.
The problem with coloured tires still happens. I've seen the separation happen on multiple brand of tires on club members bikes. I believe it is more pronounced at our club due to the amount of cornering done while training on our track.