View Single Post
Old 04-18-14, 06:18 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Originally Posted by Gnosis
Bill, surmising a wheelset’s attributes via its cost is rarely helpful. The OP did state they’re double-walled and while he could be mistaken, or may have been misled, he also may be entirely correct, so why second guess what he stated about them being double-walled until there’s just cause to do so?

Both of my new 32-spoke Rhyno Lite 26” wheelsets are double-walled, have machined braking surfaces, and are laced to Deore hubs. One of the wheelsets cost $90 via the Internet and has welded seams and the rim is 29.5mm wide while the other cost $125 at a Performance Bike shop and has pinned seams and the rim is 27mm wide. They’re incredibly strong rims.

My friend purchased a new 24-spoke 26” wheelset via the Internet and they’re also double-walled, have pinned seams, have machined braking surfaces, cost a mere $77 and their shipping was free! I don’t recollect the rim’s width, but it’s slightly narrower (likely just 25mm or thereabouts). He has roughly 3,000 miles on them now, so they’ve cost him roughly 2.567 cents per mile of use thus far. He sure got his money’s worth on that wheelset and they’re still healthy.

Until he knows precisely how wide those rims are, I’d hold off on purchasing tires for those rims. A wide rim with a narrow tire not only looks ridiculous, but it’s also unsafe.
I define a wheel set as a FRONT & REAR. Do you?
My "inexpensive" wheel SETS run about $160-170 for parts, using the cheapest Shimano hubs and Sun Rims CR-18's or M13 II's, & DB spokes.

$120 for a SET at an LBS is going to be "low end".
How much would YOUR wheel SETS be at the LBS?

I have no qualms that 26X1.25" will fit with NO problem.

You can get off your high horse.