contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
I

I also use a Deuter pack made for cycling, which has an air channel where it contacts your back. Yeah, I sweat on warm days, but I'm sweating anyway, it's no big deal. On climbs, I can make use of the extra weight on my back to help drive my hips forward to drive the pedals with my body weight, so the extra weight is actually used, it's not "dead weight" as it would be if it were panniers.

The downside is that I get some lower back pain on longer rides if I stay in the saddle too long, so I have to make sure I'm out of the saddle, stretching out my back every now and then. But the upside is that I get some strength training, riding as if I weighed 15 pounds more than I do. If I were to go on an extended tour, I might consider using a British-style saddlebag, one attached directly to the saddle. Closer to center of mass, doesn't make the bike look stupid. I would never put a rack on a good bike.

Luis
Yes, thats my experience as well. The extra 44-65 lbs of weight hanging off of me is offset by being able to transfer that weight into the pedals. I think having a bag on front of handlebars above wheel, and something directly behind me, be it a box, crate, whatever, keeps everything in a straight line vs adding mass lower down, which might affect things like going over pothole or uneven pavement while cornering. On those turns i may have to slow more vs having the weight on me or along the center line.

I have hung triple bagged gallon milk cartons off my handlebar in the middle, very secure etc, but having it in a backpack i felt like i was more in control of the mass dynamics in body position, especially when making hard turns. Having it on the rear may change the dynamic, as it is following the direction of motion vs leading on the front.

I'll get it sorted eventually, but for now the only change i'm definitely considering is milk crate on rear rack. If that works, i may go further, add a handlebar bag, then we'll see what makes the most sense from there...

- Andy