Old 04-21-14, 07:11 AM
nielsp03

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lacking Motivation

Last year, after six years of inactivity, I finally found the motivation to put in 4,000 miles. Over the winter, I thought that I had come to the realization that I'm going to stick with it for as long as I'm physically able. I bought a new Trek Damone 5.2, and Garmin 510 figuring that I might as well upgrade for the long haul. I was chomping at the bit during this miserable winter, and rode eight times in March, mostly in frigid, miserable conditions. I was starting to feel a little bit of fitness come around, and I shed about four pounds (always motivating). Last year I dropped 45 pounds, put 15 back on during winter. I'm 6'3", so my goal for this year is another 30 pounds to get down to about 195. Anyway, on April 6 I intended to ride about 30-35, but couldn't get my heart rate up, and felt pretty blah. The next evening, I was hit with a full case of the flu which turned into bronchitis, I was basically down hard for almost two weeks. This past Saturday, I got out for 21, and Sunday, 27 miles. I had to force myself to complete rides in nice weather, not because of fitness, but due to a lack of motivation. Usually I would be excited for this coming Tuesday, and Wednesday, my next scheduled rides, but I'm not, it seems more of a chore now.

My question is, is this normal? Does anyone else experience this, and just push through it and find their motivation again? During this brutal winter, I had vowed to cherish every nice day, as a great day to ride, and accomplish my goals, I don't understand why I'm not feeling it. Thanks.