Old 04-21-14, 02:15 PM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Appreciate the efforts to lend hand, but unfortunately I believe most of the above answers are based on incorrect assumptions.
  • First of all, this is occurring with a new chainring and chain.
  • Second, I can reproduce the issue on a workstand - little to no pressure.
  • Third, the chain climbs to the outer ring without any problem. Actually very happy with that performance. Shift pins do exist and seem to pick up the chain w/o problem.
  • Fourth, this is not an issue with the FD adjustment. I have studied the FD action and confirmed it is not over shifting beyond expected, plus the limit screws are set to minimize the range.
I'm not sure if rotating the outer ring would achieve anything because (if I'm correct) the relative position to the inner ring teeth would stay the same due to the symmetrical 5-arm 130bcd arm spacing. There is one thing to this configuration out of the norm... using a 30T granny to 48T big ring. Yeah I know that 18T diff exceeds the normal Di2 FD rating, but I do not believe it is the issue here. Perhaps it is caused by the chain run distance being slightly off between these two rings.

The chain gets up onto the tops of the Alize teeth and in some cases that will cause an overshift, but not always. The main problem to solve is to figure out how to get the chain to drop into the teeth instead of riding on top of the tips.

Last edited by twocicle; 04-21-14 at 03:59 PM.