View Single Post
Old 04-22-14, 09:00 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Dheorl
All the housing also seems seated alright along the length of it. I was just surprised at chain side-play being likely as it was running smooth as butter around end of january time when it last had a good clean and hasn't been used that much since. How can I check for it?

Seems a bit awkward to use technical meanings of a word in normal conversation but thank you for clearing it up.

From earlier post: One can get some idea of the amount of side play by pushing the top run of the chain toward the wheel in the area between chainwheel and rear cog, with the chain on the outermost position. Compare to a bike with a new chain to get some idea of the relative amount of side play. The only way to tell if the chain is the problem would be to replace the chain.

If two people possibly have different concepts of the same terms it seems to me natural to clarify. The lack of doing so is certainly one among many problems in discourse these days.