Old 04-24-14, 12:40 AM
goraman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a lot to be under stood about treating leather.
In a dehumidified museum or privet collection where leather is being carefully preserved for viewing, nothing is applied,no oils,balms or saves of any kind as it regenerates the natural rotting process.

But in the real world of working leather it needs lubrication and protection.
Water,U.V. light, dry wind, heat ect.. all do horrible damage to untreated leather over time with out some care.
An untreated saddle never having gotten soaked in water may last 10 years but properly treated and not abused or neglected will last a life time.

Do Not use mink oil it both molds and rots leather,it also stinks for days.
I used a very thin film of neatsfoot oil in the stress points but I do mean very thin film as you can quickly over soften leather that needs to be some what ridged as it has to support nearly 200 pounds of ars over a small steel frame with out over stretching.

There is nothing in Brooks proofide that will rot or harm you saddle over your life time if sparingly applied and will keep it supple so I highly recommend it.
That and a good bees wax to seal it from humidity or rain.
I use a thin film of neatsfoot oil just in the center of the saddle and I do mean very thin film!
Then I remove the frame and springs and use Doc Martins Boot dubbin a wax on the under side of the saddle and the outer edges as it will repel water and moisture while still letting the poors of the hide breath.
I then use a soft diaper rag with Brooks proofide over the whole top,just a dab will do it a dime size on a very large saddle. After everything has soaked in I then use a little boot dubbin rubbed over the top and sides to keep out moisture.
Last but not least a nice water proof cover should always be with you just in case as just one time letting the leather become soaked will shrink your saddles hide and stiffen it horribly when it drys out.
Leather and water = leather looses every time.
Snow seal as bees wax it's awesome, and boot dubbin has some in it too.
But more important than wax is a good rain proof cover,or even on very hot sunny days it will protect that all important hide.

There are probably other products that will work but I'd stay with the Brooks Profide because it's the best product for the job.
After break in never use the neatsfoot oil again, I would then use the Proofide once a year and wax 2 x a year.

There is no need to over do it.
Keep your butt clean and use saddle soap to clean it from time to time and you can pass it on to your kids.

Last edited by goraman; 04-24-14 at 06:31 AM.