View Single Post
Old 04-24-14, 12:40 PM
Geekage

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Hi, I know this is a really old thread, but I don't come around here often.

Actually, I only found this thread because I was doing an image search for bullhorn handlebars and ran across the following post.

Originally Posted by MarkN
Cheers for the suggestions, you lot. Loads of cool stuff out there, I especially like those spinachi extenders.

Here's the bottom line though, see; I can only afford new handlebars, not a whole new control set. Road STI shifters are just too expensive. So whatever I do it's probably going to involve my current Deore STI shifters.

Realistically, I'll probably end up hack-sawing about 6cm off each end of my 58cm straight bar and if I can find a reasonably priced 140mm/10 degree stem, I'll try that too.

However, practicality has never kept me away from the drawingboard! What I'd *really* like to try is this;

So, that's my current STI shifters mounted backwards on a set of bullhorn handlebars, with the cables coming out forwards in a complete mess.

The bullhorns would need to be compatible with a 25.4 stem clamp and 22mm clamps on the controls. The upward bend at the end of the bullhorns would have to be long enough for the MTB shifters to clip onto AND to give my hands enough room to brace against them while braking (ie. long).

Where, if such bullhorn bars exist, could I find them? Is it even a good idea?

Or, is there an ecconomical, ergonomic and sensible way to integrate a pair of bar-end brakes and some quick-fire shifters?
So, in the interest of providing some useful information, this is my setup:

It's a standard Deore Rapidfire brifter mounted on a Nitto B601 Promenade handlebar. So, yes, it's a 25.4 stem clamp with 22.2mm brake clamp diameter.

Obviously, it doesn't have an upswept bend on the ends, but I was specifically looking for something completely flat. Also, with my 130mm stem (yeah, it's vintage, just like the bike), the reach is good. I even have the brakes slid down a bit from the ends of the bars, though sometimes I do ride with my palms over the clamps. As pictured by MarkN, the reach looks way too long unless going with a lot shorter stem or too small of a top tube.

Getting the angle of the bars took a couple of tries- I did have some problems with numbness in my palms at different angles and with neoprene gloves, but I haven't noticed any problems recently, though I'm not wearing any gloves now either.

It's not clear from the photo, but the brakes rotate out by about ten or fifteen degrees. This is what I've found to be comfortable for both braking and shifting, and the gear indicators are visible without needing to move my head to the side. I haven't had any issue with needing an upward flare to prevent my hands from sliding forward when braking hard since my index finger rests against the brake clamp area.

The only issues I have with this setup is that the bars flare out by a couple of degrees, and they are something like a 44.5mm width at the ends. I have mostly gotten used to the flare and I was used to the width until I got on my road bike with noticeably narrower bars, which make me feel more aerodynamic.

Another minor issue is the bar diameter- the smaller 22.2mm diameter with low quality padded tape that bottoms out easily means that the bars do feel thinner than regular bars. I figure I may double wrap my bars, or find long mountain bike bar grips.

As an aside, this is probably mentioned elsewhere on the site, but having tried road STI on lazy man's bullhorns (cut down drops), I've found the shifters to require way too much throw to be comfortable. road STI shifting feels best done from the hoods, less so from the drops. Besides, I mostly prefer V-brakes over cantilevers (with some caveats) and I don't know of any long pull road STI levers.

edit: There are also the Velo Orange Montmartre handlebars that would also fit, however I don't know whether I could deal with the drop or rise at the bends.

Last edited by Geekage; 04-24-14 at 12:49 PM. Reason: more info