Old 04-30-14, 10:13 AM
cash68

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Upgrading a 1988 Peugeot Triathlon, really confused

Hey all! Nice place you have here!

I have an 88 Peugeot Triathlon that I've been riding for 4 years now, and each summer I'm putting on more and more miles! It's been a fantastic bike so far, that really hasn't needed much. I replaced the tires with some white velo style tires (super soft compound, round profile), and I replaced the seat with a brand new white seat (I forget the brand/type). Here is a photo:

Anyway, I plan on riding this thing for a long time. My tires are just about worn out.. Every year I lube things and clean/polish/wax the frame, but this year I'd like to upgrade a few things, but I'm really confused. The front and rear wheels don't match, one is a mavic, the other is a velotech. I know they're 700c wheels, but this bike is a 12 spd, so I'm wondering what I can use in terms of wheel sets. I don't want to change shifters, everything is the original Shimano 105 set that works very nicely, with indexed shifting on the rear derailleur. How/where do I go about finding wheelsets designed for my 6spd system?

I'm also looking into casual clipless pedals/shoes, but I'd like something that had a classic look. Any suggestions?

Another thing I'm looking at upgrading is the seatpost, I believe the diameter is 26.8mm. The one in there currently looks to be aluminum, fluted. Would a newer seatpost help shed some weight? I don't compete, but I do ride with friends and it seems like the guys on newer bikes crush me on the uphills. My bike weighs about 21lbs or so.

Cheers!

Last edited by cash68; 04-30-14 at 11:30 AM.