Old 04-30-14, 11:18 AM
jdefran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cash68
Hey all! Nice place you have here!

I have an 88 Peugeot Triathlon that I've been riding for 4 years now, and each summer I'm putting on more and more miles! It's been a fantastic bike so far, that really hasn't needed much. I replaced the tires with some white velo style tires (super soft compound, round profile), and I replaced the seat with a brand new white seat (I forget the brand/type). Here is a photo:

Anyway, I plan on riding this thing for a long time. My tires are just about worn out.. Every year I lube things and clean/polish/wax the frame, but this year I'd like to upgrade a few things, but I'm really confused. The front and rear wheels don't match, one is a mavic, the other is a velotech. I know they're 700c wheels, but this bike is a 12 spd, so I'm wondering what I can use in terms of wheel sets. I don't want to change shifters, everything is the original Shimano 105 set that works very nicely, with indexed shifting on the rear derailleur. How/where do I go about finding wheelsets designed for my 7spd system?

I'm also looking into casual clipless pedals/shoes, but I'd like something that had a classic look. Any suggestions?

Another thing I'm looking at upgrading is the seatpost, I believe the diameter is 26.8mm. The one in there currently looks to be aluminum, fluted. Would a newer seatpost help shed some weight? I don't compete, but I do ride with friends and it seems like the guys on newer bikes crush me on the uphills. My bike weighs about 21lbs or so.

Cheers!
Nice bike, the color is pretty.

So is it a 12 or 14 speed? You mentioned 12 speed and 7 speed..

The seat post is probably steel, put a magnet up to it to test. You can get an alloy one for under $20.