View Single Post
Old 04-30-14, 12:02 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by BobG
The "Windigo Alternate" from Crescent Lake to Diamond Lake might be a fun alternate for you, derail3. It would bypass the loop out to Rte 97 and back if you take Rte 58 from Eugene. It's probably dirt. I may have taken that option 25 years ago as I recall camping at Diamond Lake.
The last time I drove over that road, it was not surfaced and very dusty.

They still have to get from Eugene to to intersect with the ACA route. I'd just go a little further and use Highway 97 which has a good surface, and good shoulders. Once you reach 138 there are a couple of options which are easy to pick out on a map.

I always look at ACA maps as guidelines. They tend to take you places that seem illogical to me. Someone gave us an ACA map to use on a tour. On part of the route we were actually using, it took us from a nice road , up a relatively long, steep hill, into a small town. After leaving the town we dropped right back down to the road we were originally on. I really did not need to go through that town, climb a hill in the rain and end up a mile or two down the same road I started on. Since then, I really look at ACA maps skeptically where there route selection is concerned.

Last edited by Doug64; 04-30-14 at 12:20 PM.