Old 04-30-14, 01:58 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by bertinjim
cash68-

Don't worry about the Mavic/Velotech rim "mismatch" since Velotech was the Peugeot house brand rim and was made for them by Mavic, if I recall correctly.
Correct. The rims are 'velotech by Mavic' so there is a chance the wheels are not mismatched.

1. Ditch the tires for lightweight 700 X 23 or 25c quality tires. Michelin, Continental, Veloflex....take your pick, Pair the tires up with lightweight inner tubes. Try to max out at 350g per wheel for tires and tubes. I'll venture a guess and say your current setup is in the 600g range. That's a massive weight savings.....a 1lb 1oz weight savings!!

2. Lubing isn't always enough. Are the bearings properly adjusted? Most bike mechanics are clueless when it comes to adjusting cup/cone bearings. What you want to do is loosen them until there's play then tighten them just a tick. My technique is harder to understand and much more precise. I loosen mine so there's play when the skewers half tighten and then goes away when the skewers fully tightened.

3. How's the BB holding up? After 26 years I'll say it needs an overall.

4. Your fit is way off. Get it properly fitted with the proper seat height and stem reach.

5. As mentioned already climbing is mostly a function of your conditioning and gearing. Shimano 'HG' freewheels will shift a lot better than what you have but they're not available it all gear ranges.