Old 04-30-14, 06:19 PM
e0richt

Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
How does "taking the lane" make you more visible? I think it makes you less visible to the cars that are behind the car immediately behind you. The guy immediately behind you can see you in the middle or to the side of the lane. All "taking the lane" does is block the cars from passing, which in some situations is good, and in others, bad. I'll block cars from passing if absolutely necessary, but otherwise, ride to the side to make passing easier. Do you "take the lane" guys block all cars because you think it is safer in all circumstances? I don't see the wisdom in that.
well, I always try to take the lane (which has helped prevent right hooks due to visibility). with that said if a car comes up (which I normally notice before they get too close) I determine whether its safe (most of the time it is...) and will pull over to allow them to pass (usually with no need to slow down, even so they will slow down a bit as they pass and will give me some room).

before that I used to hug the right side of the road (near the fog line) and there were multiple drivers who wouldn't even shift a bit to give me room during the pass even though the road was clear to do so.