Old 05-05-14, 11:30 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by robertblake60
Is it wrong to ask if raingear is an essential item?

I don't have experience bicycle touring (yet) but I thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail last year and probably spent 1/3 of my time walking in the rain. I sent my rain gear home after the first 2 weeks because while the rain didn't go through the gear, my body sweat like no other and I was just as wet. It was high quality gear too. Mountain Hardware I believe.

After sending the rain gear home and just living in the elements, I never regretted it.

Is there something unique to cycling that would make this much different?
What kind of temperatures did you experience on your hike?

I've often ridden without raingear in warm temperatures. But more often I have used my rain jacket as a wind breaker in cooler weather while on tour. I do a lot of riding in 45-60 degree temperatures, in both wet and dry conditions.

The only differences I can come up with are the differences in the activity and the speed. Walking is more of a full body activity than cycling. While walking the arm and shoulders move in addition to the legs, while cycling is primarily leg movement. There is a difference in "real feel" of the temperature when moving at 2-3 mph while walking and travelling at at 12-15 mph while riding. This 10 mph difference can bring the wind chill of a 50 F temperature down about 5 degrees cooler riding than experienced walking. Is 5 degrees important? I don't know; maybe 5 degrees combined with a relatively still upper body is enough for me to wear my jacket. I've also ridden out in the elements for 2-3 months at a time, and I still like to stay dry, especially in temps much below 70 degrees.

The average high daily temperatures in The Netherlands for August range from 68-72 F; combine this with wet conditions, and 10-15 mph winds and a rain jacket adds a lot of comfort to the ride. In a ride across British Columbia, Canada last summer we experienced temperatures ranging from 32 F to 109 F. A lot of the riding in the mornings was in the 35-45 F temperature range, some it in rainy conditions. Wind chill on descents, at 25 mph, would be in the 23 F range. Yes, for me a rain jacket, pant and helmet cover are a necessary part of the kit for any tour. Well, except southern Portugal and Spain in July

A month long tour around Michigan's Lower Peninsula in September and Early October. We had rain only about a third of the days, but we wore our rain jackets almost every day for the month. Once we got in the northern part of the state, the fist 2-3 hours of the day's riding were rather brisk.

Michigan@ 55 F. I'm a firm believer in waterproof.

Last edited by Doug64; 05-07-14 at 01:02 PM.