Old 05-05-14, 06:07 PM
equinoxranch

Bikes: Bottecchia (Carnielli) & Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
RMS13 and BIKEMIG are right.

If CHESTERFIELD is "I'm newbie", she would be better, best, bested to say the least in securing a LBS to sit down with at a minimum and seriously discuss matters speaking to pragmatic needs for now and the foreseeable future. One of the most significant subjects being ye olde fit that fits her and her needs............. Whether she ultimately conducts business with a LBS or not is her prerogative but at least she would get theoretical proper, intelligent, sensible direction from what RMS, Bikemig and I hope to be a sound, honest, experienced and competent shop. Chesterfield's needs also ask for other basic necessities to that of a complete bike which a LBS can again speak to and outfit her with..........

Not to go pejorative on the Cannondale (are you listening Chesterfield?) but that rig has a number of components and design peculiarities that are proprietary to Cannondale and I do not like proprietary items on any bike. The Zipp wheels as well are their own "fie upon thou" proprietary animal................ Servicing and parts 'down the road' on such a "they saw you coming" hooptie eventually make you regret same. Too many manufacturers these days create their own unique design, falling away from established norms and any departure from norms eventually comes back to haunt you, starting with your purse. You are best served regardless of your experience to "stick to the basics" in spite of now living in a world that is anything but. There's a lot of hoopla these days, all promising more miracles than Heinz have tomato. Do. Not. Believe. It. Period!
The basics (still the best) are out there, you just have to know what to look for and ferret same out with the help of an experienced and competent (hello!) LBS that didn't drink the Kool Aid in 2008 or 2012 if you catch my drift.....................

I openly and readily admit that I am not at all a fan of carbon nor aluminum frames, nor Shimano nor SRAM "gruppo". Kind of narrows it down............. For the $3K - $4K or so she is potentially capable of separating herself from I would like to think there exist a number of vastly more intelligent purchases, such as a sound bike with standard set up and again one ultimately put together by a sound, competent shop that will dial her in with some money left over to also get some essential basics and the rest as opposed to her wasting, I mean spending her money on the Cannondale. Case in point; I am partial to still unparalleled 32x3X wheels, as a perfect example.................. Hope you made note Chesterfield.

Last edited by equinoxranch; 05-05-14 at 06:31 PM.