Old 05-07-14, 09:58 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
The following is a copy and paste off my 2 cents from a thread in SSFG that was started 5 days ago:

I like tech, but I'm also a tightwad, so here's my take on this design:

- The bike has sensors built-in to the frame itself or well concealed bolt-ons? If inside the frame, how do you replace them when they go on the fritz? If bolted on, that is just that much more stuff I gotta worry about walking away while locked up.

- Power: How are you supposed to recharge the sensors? And the sync'ing to your smartphone will just drain the phone battery that much quicker. Of course, this goes on the assumption that one has a smartphone to begin with...

- Data charges: All of those traffic alerts is gonna incur data charges/require data plan of some kind.

-Their tracking after it gets stolen is predicated on a network of others that have the same bike, and if nobody passes it or you are the only person to own one, that feature is worthless.

- They are marketing to commuters, right? Aside from the rack/fender issues, it is a 16 pound CF which is gonna take at least half of that weight in hardened steel locks to protect it and those locks could damage the frame over time...

- Those 'blind spot' sensors are a gimmick, IMO.

... and I don't like the color of the wheels.