Old 05-09-14, 12:17 PM
benda18

Bikes: LHT + FreeRadical

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jrickards
OK, thanks, I'll have to keep that in mind. I've been looking for fenders and there are few (save for fatbikes) that are built for tires wider than 45mm even though the fenders are up to 52mm wide. I guess that the design of (say) 52mm fenders is to provide proper coverage for tires up to 45mm wide. Since most spray emanates from the centre of the tire, if the fender is a bit narrower, I'll just have to accept that. Besides ERTO code for a 55-622 tire (if I remember correctly) means that the tire is 55mm high, not necessarily 55mm wide.

I'll have to look at the space between the tire and various parts of the frame (seat post, BB, seatstays, chainstays) and see what I'm dealing with.
you're talking about a 29er MTB right? more than likely you will be ok, but it doesn't hurt to measure and google.

28x2.0 / 29x2.0 / 700x50C fit on a crosscheck, but that's nothing like an MTB. But for reference here's what I'm dealing with:

That's probably 1cm of clearance around the tire. I fully intended to mount fenders when I got these tires but it's just too small of an area. Un-true wheels rub. frame flex from dropping the hammer rubs. people have made it work with some elbow grease, but at the time i was commuting full time and didn't have the time or desire for high-maintenance fender solutions. If i wreck and bend a stay, it's not acceptable for me to be unable to ride home.

Last edited by benda18; 05-09-14 at 12:20 PM.