Old 05-13-14, 12:08 PM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by FLvector
Distance to buy a bike is one thing, but distance for future service is another. I wouldn't mind driving 2hrs+ if that shop had the bike I was looking for and was helpful in fitting, etc. Many shops can also find and get the bike you're looking for if you have that narrowed down. There must be a competent mechanic closer than 2hrs away unless you live in the boondocks.
That's me, live in the boondocks. I only have 1 shop local to work and I don't like it. I ended up buying my Giant there because it is near work and I'm there every day through the week, but I wish I visited other shops within a larger radius. He basically had me stand over a frame, said I needed that size and that was it. I love the bike, but not sure I want to bother with taking the bike back to him as I think any work I'd need done, I think I would be a week or more without my bike.

I didn't even visit any shops to check out other bikes. I wish I would have checked out Cannondale, Trek, and Specialized. I did look briefly at a Trek just stopping in somewhere not near home as we were traveling somewhere and didn't like how they were spec'ed out and how they were far more expensive than other similarly spec'ed brands. I saw the Specialized shop and it was a run down place and didn't want to go in there. Wish I would have gone up to the Cannondale shop though.

Originally Posted by therhodeo
Yeah it definitely depends on where you're from. A 90 minute car ride was pretty much the only choice where I grew up if you needed something that Walmart or the feed store didn't carry.
Where I grew up, there was no Walmart. There wasn't any Walmart anywhere except maybe in Louisiana or where ever Sam Walton started.

Originally Posted by daihard
It is kind of ironic that one has to drive that far to buy a bicycle. Hopefully those who do will be able to have their bikes serviced nearby home or work on their own bikes - without having to go back there for regular maintenance and tune-ups. I know this isn't for everyone, but to me, one big reason that I ride a bike is to not have to drive.
I ride a bike for exercise, not to not have to drive. I have to drive. Anything I want would be at least a 30 minute drive if not more and that's at 60-70 mph. If I biked to where I needed to go, I average 9 mph on the road with the hills and thus, it would take me almost 4 hours to get there and then I'd have to bike home. I don't have that kind of time, LOL.