Old 05-13-14, 01:27 PM
dpeters11

Bikes: 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek 2.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclosaurus
YOUR right to use the road does not depend upon ME following the law, and vice versa. You have every RIGHT to use the road. You have the RESPONSIBILITY to follow the law. If you do not follow the law, YOU suffer the consequences. It's a pattern that all marginalized groups suffer, that the actions of (often a very small number of) individuals are used to deny rights to the group. However the privileged and/or majority group does not apply that same standard to themselves.
There have been calls here for the law to be changed to ban bicycles from the road due to the minority that do not follow the law, along with the holding up of traffic etc. Of course I see the irony that the a good number of drivers are violating laws by being on cell phones etc. I just see those that are on the roads and are not following the laws are not doing the rest of us any favors. Drivers see all cyclists as lycra clad weight weenies that feel they are above the law.

Have I gone over the speed limit on my bike? I admit I have, even while I'm being yelled at for slowing down traffic. I also admit it was fun
But not many drivers complain about us going too fast.