View Single Post
Old 05-15-14, 09:51 AM
1987cp
Albatross bars are cool!!

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale ST; 1975 Raleigh Grand Prix; mystery Nashbar tandem MTB; 1991 Paramount Series 20 PDG (in bits); 1984 Raleigh Record (in smaller bits, needs dropout repair); 1985 Raleigh Alyeska (wrecked, needs downtube repair)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim_Iowa
I like the Wald 3133 QR basket for a handlebar-only mount. The basket has a simple quick-release so you can take it into the store, or just take it off on days you don't want it.

The one issue is it doesn't mount up perfectly. The handlebar bracket has an arm on the back that I think is supposed to rest against the handlebar stem or head tube. But it doesn't reach on most bikes. And if it does reach, it bangs against the stem/tube with every bounce.

I cut up some old rubber handlebar grips and made a ~1" stack. I zip-tied that stack of rubber between the stem and the arm on the handelbar bracket. Now the basket is super stable and doesn't bang against anything. I'd have used a rubber elastomer out of a shock, or even a toe stop from a roller skate, if I had anything like that around.

That one looks rather nice! I'd only previously been aware of the ones that attach to the handlebar the bottom appears designed to drag back and forth across the head tube. Though, now I have to wonder if this isn't actually the same item and I'd been entirely misunderstanding how to use it ....