Old 10-12-05, 11:01 AM
pedex
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 397 Posts
Originally Posted by Orikal
I was toying with the same idea a few months ago. I would suggest searching google for "bicycle courier business plans" or something along those lines. You'll get a million hits, but I have no idea what you'll get for your money. I'm sure it's the same information you could come across after a little digging or a visit to the library/bookstore. Good luck and keep us posted!

Actually all you have to do is goto the secretary of state office or webisite in that state and file for a trade name, then open a bank account. You can open the company as an LLC or something else if you wish but for a sole proprietor a trade name is sufficient. Being an LLC will help with any liability issues but that can also be handled with a damage disclaimer at the bottom of groundbills if you use them. Most services only cover up to about $50-$100 worth of damage and it comes right out of the contractors pocket more often than not.

Do not go thru an a attorney to open the company and file the paperwork unless youve got money to waste, the paperwork is very easy to fill out and most secretary of state websites have plenty of directions to assist you. I do corporate filings all the time, my client charges $100 each to fill them out and file them for you, its a very simple form, and the filing fee costs anywhere from $75-$125 plus stock options if those are involved.

You can open a messenger business for just a few hundred bucks, mine cost $225 to set up, filing fee and bank deposit and that was it.

This is one of the benefits of being a messenger, you learn how the law and system works.