Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 1,953 Times in 1,393 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
One of the things learned by discussion is how different training sessions are crafted. I suppose it is like trying to apply science which turns out to be part art or philosophy difference between coaches or even riders.

For example. Comparing your approach CFB to that of Chad...you iterate/revamp your Power training target on the spot as you monitor HR and if your HR is unusually low for a given power output, you reduce your power for that given training session because you are overcooked. Not what I hear from Chad. Chad only references HR after the fact and not during. He trains to power only and if power targets aren't met, he and his trainer will then look at HR as root cause after the fact. This is a philosophical difference. Two riders...both with access to power and HR metrics and a different approach.

One of the reasons I asked about the relationship between power and HR training is I suspected there to be a difference in technique employed between different riders which only stands to reason as no doubt there are not only different strategies to train but of course different power and HR targets for each of us based upon different fitness levels.
That difference is largely that chaadster has a coach and I am self-coached. When you have a coach, whoever that may be, you do what the coach says. Also being 68, I need to be careful of overtraining. I would rather be undertrained than overtrained.