Old 05-18-14, 06:54 PM
Bug Shield

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Well let's see...

The bike I loved and rode the most as a kid was a Takara BMX bike that I shamelessly rescued from the town dump. I loved that it had plastic "mag" wheels that didn't go out of true like the spoke wheels I kept ruining (because I learned to fix wheels later in life).

My Specialized M4 had a bit of an interesting story also. I was riding a used Centurion that had gotten me into road cycling and looking for a decent new bike but couldn't really afford much. While on travel for work, I found a new Specialized S-Works M4 with a cosmetic dent in the top tube. Having to never face the shop owner again, I offered them what I figured the gruppo was worth and they accepted. I loved that bike and put about 300-miles a week on it for a long time.

That M4 is the bike I rode from NH to AZ in the act of proposal to my wife.

I later broke the frame at the chainstay which was, I gather, pretty common for that bike. It was replaced with the then-current S-Works E5 frame which is a good bike that I do not love. A while back I was at a group ride with it and there was a Specialized fan raving about what a great bike my E5 was. Half the bike it replaced, I said, and he didn't seem to like me much after that. Ha ha.