Old 05-19-14, 05:06 PM
roadandmountain
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JWK
For the most part, the replies have been helpful and I appreciate the info and insights. I wouldn't know where to start responding to individual posts (and it would take a really long time).

I have decided I need to learn a bit more and concentrate on training on the disc trucker. I still want something with a longer wheel base than your standard road bike, but after reading some of the responses I will be open to aluminum frames. I also just might wait until I can afford that Gunnar Sport (looked at the website - just what I want except for the price tag). I might stumble into a really nice bike from the 80s with better steel than your typical 4130. I will remain patient and shoot for my goals on the Surly if nothing comes my way this summer.

I do have a 1992 R500 Cannondale with a triple I could fix up just to have something a lot faster. I rode that thing at least a few thousand miles while I lived out in Nevada and Oregon, but it always scared the hell out of me going down fast grades. I don't even know why. The trail on it is around 64, but the wheelbase is under 1000. Good for climbing, though. Climbed like a mountain goat compared to my disc trucker. I also don't know if it would be worth the $200 - $300 it would take to get it where I want it to be.

Lots to think about while I ride.
Thanks for the clarification. I have a far better sense of where you're coming from after reading the above.

If you don't feel safe descending with the cannondale, you should sell it. There's no point in riding a bike you feel unsafe on.

I do think your best bet is to buy a second set of wheels for your lht. You have a clear preference for touring geometry and a lighter set of wheels should make a big difference in acceleration on flats and on climbs.

There is still the issue of your racks adding weight however, so unless you fee like removing them for faster rides, there's still an argument for you getting a second bike for fast rides.