Old 05-19-14, 10:01 PM
truckface

Bikes: 80s touring bikes, mostly.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chris W.
Very nice!!! In fact this bike is thread worthy (I'd like to know all about the build!)
Originally Posted by bikemig
You must have removed the old cantis and had new ones brazed on, right?
Aww thanks! The story behind it isn't *all* that interesting, but here goes...

My beloved '83 Expedition got stolen in February, and I ended up getting a better-than-expected renters insurance settlement out of it. Decided to try and use those funds to A) purchase another vintage tourer; and B) get it retro-fitted with S&S couplers. It's something I've always thought about doing, but would probably never do because of the cost. Ended up scoring a 1984 720 in my size thanks to a kind member of the MiyataSpecTour Yahoo group.

I talked to Johnny Coast about the couplers, and decided to go ahead and have it converted to 650B at the same time, since it was going to need a repaint after the work anyway. (I'm a 650B convert, and figured the smaller wheels would also make it a bit easier to pack into the travel case.) He not only moved the canti studs down, but also spaced them as widely as possible to accommodate modern cantilevers.

The original bike was the 1984 maroon paint, but I always preferred the 1983 decals and colors so I decided to go for that look. Although a 1984 720, the serial number indicates that it was actually built in 1983, so I figured that made it ok to give it the 1983 treatment.

Right now, everything is original except for:

- wheels (Shimano 105 laced to Velocity Dyads + Compass Babyshoe Pass tires)
- brakes (Paul touring/neo-retro)
- brake levers (Suntour Superbe)
- pedals (MKS Sylvan touring)

Still not 100% decided on racks, but am thinking black Tubus, Surly, or a combo of both. Going to replace the saddle too, as it's the most uncomfortable Avocet I've ever used. Will probably go for a different Avocet touring model, or maybe a Brooks Cambium?