View Single Post
Old 05-21-14, 08:41 AM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wide Feet - New Options

I wasn't sure where to post this as this is a common problem that I've seen several posts about in different forum sections.

I've got wide feet and have had trouble finding cycling shoes, often resorting to buying shoes a size too large even if they were advertised as "wide" like the Shimano M088. Shimano is now offering several different lasts in addition to the "normal" D width last. Of particular interest to those of us with wide feet are the Volume Performance Last (which is about the same fit as the old "wide"), the Volume Tour Last which is a bit wider and the Performance Tour Last which is even wider yet. The additional width is all in the front half of the shoe giving you more room in the toe box and ball of the foot.

I just got some SH CT40 Click'r touring shoes (which work with any SPD pedals, not just the Click'r pedals) and they fit my EE+ feet great in the correct size (no more wearing shoes that are too long just to get the width). There are several models of touring shoes with the wider lasts, most of which would fall into the recreational, commuting, trekking, touring categories and are very walkable. It will be interesting to see if they expand this range of widths to more road and MTB shoes including ones with stiffer soles. But at least I can spend a day on the bike now without losing feeling in my small toe.

There is still the Sidi Dominator Mega as another option which I was looking at when I found these. I picked the Shimano touring shoes because they look more casual (a plus for me) and were half the price. I'll report back after the summer to let everyone know how they performed and held up.

Last edited by GravelMN; 05-21-14 at 08:48 AM.