Old 05-22-14, 11:43 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Complete waste of money for what you are trying to do.

4GB is too small to be useful. You might get away with 8GB. You'd be very well off with 16GB.

There will be very little space for apps. (You can sometimes install apps on the SD card but it's a bit of a pain and not apps will allow it.)

It's probably really slow for maps (and apps) and doesn't use BTLE and will likely never see newer versions of Android.

Galaxy Centura Straight Talk | Prepaid Android Smartphone | Samsung Mobile

• 4GB NAND + 512MB RAM
  • EXTERNAL MEMORY/MICROSD™ CAPACITY

Up to 32GB
This isn't completely true. 4GB is adequate for these apps, but as I said it's under-powered, and under-spec'd for the price in my opinion, but certainly not unusable and not a waste of money. I actually still have only about a third of the internal memory used and the rest free. It wouldn't be good for consuming media, including cloud-streamed music. But I would agree that 8GB with at least 1GB RAM (instead of 512 MB) is a more viable option.

Current Android version is 4.0.4 ("almost" current), probably the last version that will be pushed to it. It's not particularly slow on maps or other apps, but not something to brag about either. I'd spend up to get a Moto-G or something similar unless you're dead set on the Tracphone service.