View Single Post
Old 05-23-14, 06:38 AM
Spld cyclist

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Fantom CXX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX, 1997 Bianchi Nyala, 200? Burley Rock 'n Roll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Since you're still going, I did Strava home with the cell reception turned off Bike Ride Profile | Afternoon Ride near Alpharetta | Times and Records | Strava and it worked like normal.

njkayaker has been wrong with just about everything he's said about the Centura phone, but I think he's more or less right that in general only a cutting edge phone is going to have BTLE support.

Options for avoiding data plan are all relatively recent. You've got pay as you go, a few options that I've listed, and that's it. Except for AT&T paygo and Straighttalk all of them appear to use the Sprint network. I'd do the Moto-G with Republic, the $10 no data plan which is what you're asking for. If you don't like the coverage it's back to Straighttalk or Tracphone (which is Verizon, not "some weird network" as someone described it). If you choose Tracphone, it's the Centura, a couple of lower end phones and another of about the same caliber.
Thanks for getting back on the gps thing. Good to know.

I looked at Republic, which would be exactly what I need but I'm not confident about coverage here. I'm most interested in Tracfone just because it uses the Verizon network, which is very good pretty much everywhere I go. Tracfone could potentially use the Moto G CDMA version, but they say it won't work with certain branded phones (e.g. Boost Mobile) and I'm not sure the Moto G CDMA phone comes in a "generic" version - I've just seen the branded ones so far, like Verizon and Boost Mobile.