Old 05-23-14, 07:22 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Spld cyclist
Thanks for getting back on the gps thing. Good to know.

I looked at Republic, which would be exactly what I need but I'm not confident about coverage here. I'm most interested in Tracfone just because it uses the Verizon network, which is very good pretty much everywhere I go. Tracfone could potentially use the Moto G CDMA version, but they say it won't work with certain branded phones (e.g. Boost Mobile) and I'm not sure the Moto G CDMA phone comes in a "generic" version - I've just seen the branded ones so far, like Verizon and Boost Mobile.
I wouldn't bet on it, Moto G with Tracfone that is, but I'm not sure where Tracfone is going with their smartphones. You'd think they'd want to support more current phones, yet maybe they have some reason to hold back.

If the Republic coverage is poor where you'd use it that's a deal killer, which means most of the mobile hotspots like Internet-on-the-go and Karma are all out also (using the same network). But there's something else to research, the Straight Talk mobile hotspot which supposedly can be activated with Verizon. CDMA, I have no idea about pricing or performance.

Straight Talk is decent and not so expensive. Have you looked into those phones?