View Single Post
Old 05-23-14, 08:26 PM
Spld cyclist

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Fantom CXX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX, 1997 Bianchi Nyala, 200? Burley Rock 'n Roll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I wouldn't bet on it, Moto G with Tracfone that is, but I'm not sure where Tracfone is going with their smartphones. You'd think they'd want to support more current phones, yet maybe they have some reason to hold back.

If the Republic coverage is poor where you'd use it that's a deal killer, which means most of the mobile hotspots like Internet-on-the-go and Karma are all out also (using the same network). But there's something else to research, the Straight Talk mobile hotspot which supposedly can be activated with Verizon. CDMA, I have no idea about pricing or performance.

Straight Talk is decent and not so expensive. Have you looked into those phones?
Tonight I checked Net10, Boost Mobile, and Straight Talk, all of which require a data plan for a smart phone, and all are $40 or more minimum per month.

Then I found Consumer Cellular, which might be just the thing: https://www.consumercellular.com/Cart/Plans Rated highly by Consumer Reports and PC Magazine, has coverage in my area, AND has the Moto G for $150 (though it's just the 8 GB version). For pricing, talk is separated from text/data. 200 min/month talk is $15 and 1,000 texts + 100 MB data per month is $5. (There are probably some taxes/fees on top of that). It allows you have no data at all, but I would want the texts, and $5 ain't much anyway....