View Single Post
Old 05-24-14, 11:20 AM
2flit
2Flit

Location: Orcas Washington and currently Circumnavigating in a Farrier F36 Trimaran

Bikes: 1968 Rene Herse Gentleman's Bike; 1974/5 Jim Merz Custom-built; 1984 Rodriquez tandem; 2012 Bilenky Tandem; 1967 Cinelli SC; 1984 Specialized Exp. 68cm; 1971 Holdsworth 63cm(my first bike ever and owned since new!); 1994 Bridgestone MB5; 86'Trek420

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 35 Posts
I have had an almost exactly similar breakage using this pedal. Mine was on a Rene Herse from 1968 and are the aluminum cages. My break was closer to the crank and looks VERY different in the break area. It has signs of initiating with a surface crack that was circumferential. There is darker metal staining from oxidation and deposits in this area that rings the break. My spindle must have been this way for some time preceding the catastrophic failure.
The new area of the break looks like a thousand zirconium diamonds all glittering!
I'll try to attach a picture if someone is interested in seeing the break. I would describe it as 60 grit sand paper roughness and as uniformly flat and shear except for one pointy bump about 0.5 mm high near the center. It is very sparkly.
It (in my opinion) Would be insane for anyone to continue ridding on these pedals. The low speed/pressure failure mentioned by DAWES is very concerning. Mine happened in an out of the saddle sprint over a rise at about 20 mph. I was in a left turn sprinting.... If it had been the LRFT pedal then I would have gone down with a hard slap. I was saved by the fact that this was the right pedal and I think only the Angels kept me upright. I am shaken and concerned
Don't use these pedals! This is a really big deal and there is something critically wrong with the design at this point in history. AND I do feel that the big guys are showing the stress first. I am 6'6" tall (199 cm for you euros) and am applying more force as I try to build up to 600 km brevets. The pedal broke like a balsa twig when it went.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1030501.jpg (88.7 KB, 274 views)