View Single Post
Old 05-25-14, 02:38 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Boy, we're getting politically correct.

Is "court appointed cyclist" super polite for suspended/revoked driver's license?

Anyway most commuters do so for a number of reasons, and the poll might have made more sense if was "check all that apply".

I would have checked a number of answers, but the one that started me bike commuting 5 years or so ago (lost count) was a refusal to support the Middle East petrocracies.
The court appointed thing was meant more to lighten things up.

It is not far off of what got me started bike commuting the first time back in 2001. I had just bought a house and immediately lost a job (company went under) The choice was paying insurance and registration, or the mortgage, and the first new job didn't pay as well as I had been getting. The car cot put in the garage. and I put my 300 lb azz on a new KHS A-Lite 500. That bike did cost a half year of keeping the car legal, but it was worth it, because i like to ride too, even though it was pretty grueling getting back to it.

In '06, another job change created a situation were a long commute (50 miles) where public transit (Commuter and Light Rail) became an option, but only if supplemented by a bike. I dusted off the KHS, which had been sitting for three years. Eventually traded it for a Trek7.2 because I preferred a non suspension bike. I now commute by road bike and am down to 210 lb.