Old 05-25-14, 08:45 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Filtering is a PIA and 100% totally unnecessary. Put the solvent in jar with a tight lid and set it aside for a week or two. Everything except dissolved oil will settle to the bottom and clean solvent can be decanted like a fine wine.

Like the wine, stop decanting before the settled dirt begins to pour out. Managing this way, you'll never get to use the lase bit of solvent, but can continue to use the same jar to settle and recycle solvent forever.

If you don't have the time for gravity to separate the dirt, you can speed up the process with a centrifuge. I'm sure Harbor Freight has some nice ones at a decent price.

Interesting, thanks. I use large restaurant-size coffee filters so filtering is not esp time-consuming but if it doesn't clean out the black grime I suppose why bother & just decant as you suggest.

BTW, while sand & grit is obviously not good for chains (wear & friction) I wonder about the black grime's effect on wear/friction? I guess it's fairly minimal but OTOH never read any research about that. At any rate it's a hazard to clothes & car interiors.