View Single Post
Old 05-26-14, 08:28 AM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
You are misunderstanding what is happening when you use a solvent. When you use it on your chain, you'll get a mixture of solvent, oil and particulates. In chemistry we call this a heterogeneous mixture. You can separate the particulates from the solvent/lubricant mixture with the coffee filter. Now you'll have a homogenous mixture. A homogeneous mixture can't be separated by simple filtration. You could distill it but that's not easy to do at home nor would I suggest it, even if you had the training. And, if you had the training to do a distillation, you'd know enough not to do it at home.

The good news is that a mineral spirits will carry a lot of chain lubricant and still be very effective.
I suspect that at reasonable levels, the dissolved lubricant may actually be beneficial helping carry away the particulate and leaving a lubricating residue behind in places that thicker lubricants don't reach. Real mineral spirits are still my choice for cleaning chains and drivetrains off the bike. I worry about foaming degreasers, etc. leaching into bearings when used around wheels and BBs.