View Single Post
Old 05-28-14, 12:36 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
I've been lucky enough to be car-lite for most of my adult life, thanks to owning unreliable automobiles and working at places that have spotty and/or expensive parking. I used to walk and take transit more, until I discovered that biking part of the trip or the whole thing was much faster (particularly when I had a 35 mile one-way commute.) Once I got in the habit of biking all the time, it made more sense to bike to errands and social events rather than drive.

Eventually, I hit sort of a limbo stage where I was driving only a few times a month - for "adult errands" like big grocery shopping and home improvement supplies - and it didn't make sense to keep the car any longer. With the money I got from selling the car (not very much), I was able to get a cargo trailer and a better bike for hauling heavy things.

I'm a big fan of everyday cycling in normal clothes! The exceptions are in potentially dangerous weather, such as cold rain and temperatures below 20F or so. Over the years, my wardrobe has evolved to be more bike-friendly - no more long skirts or baggy pants. I also check Google Street and look at accident statistics before trying new routes, just to get ideas about which routes are going to be safest.
This is the first time I have seen someone consider accident statistics as part of their route reconnoitres (it doesn't mean to say there haven't been others, just the first time I have seen it).

Interesting, although there has to be recognition that there is considerable under-reporting when it comes to accidents that don't involve injury.